Monday, February 20, 2012

Posing Guide



Yesterday I hit a road block. Yup...it stopped lurking over my shoulder and eventually took center stage.

Here's how it all went down. I started building a portfolio and enlisted the help of a few of my friends for practice photo sessions. I felt really confident about the outcome of the sessions because I had taken lots of great photos of my kids, I've read and continue to read everything I could possibly dig up about photography, I practice every chance I get and besides, I was taking pictures of friends. What could go wrong? I was feeling good! Well sad to say, that feeling was short lived. A few sessions later, I fell flat on my face!

What could go wrong? Well...everything! After each session I uploaded the photos to look them over, edit and hopefully make selections for the portfolio. As I did this, I thought about the session; what went well and what didn't. I'm sure you've guessed it...there was a lot that didn't go so well! Out of a few hundred photos, I was only able to chose two shots. I'm having second thoughts about those too! LOL!

I noticed that I was having a hard time finding things to say that didn't sound cheesy. I was now suddenly nervous behind the camera and it seemed as though I had forgotten EVERYTHING I had learned. My brain was on lock down in the worst way! To add to this, after a few minutes into the sessions I was running out of ideas, feeling exhausted and defeated! A sad state of affairs to say the least.



Fast forward to today, after a few handfuls of Hershey's kisses and reading this awesome post from "Fresh Sugar Photography" on "My 25 Biggest Mistakes". I'm feeling a little better about the experience. I've had a few hours to clear away the cobwebs of doubt and discouragement from my thoughts and realize that this is just part of the process...a call to my alter ego Mrs. Perfection to take a back seat for a while. A time to continue to grow, to hone my skills and appreciate my art for what it is...a work in progress. That being said,  my next few posts will focus on topics to help guide me through, over, around or under this pesky road block. I hope that the information I uncover can help you maneuver any obstacles you have faced in this regard.

Here are a few suggestions from seasoned photographers as to what to do when your brain freezes and you're fresh out of ideas as it relates to posing.

❂ Change your lens to gain another perspective.

❂ Capture the moments as your subjects interact with each other or with the prop that is being used.

❂ Change the location.

❂ Be a little goofy and make the client(s) laugh.

❂ Try a different angle of the same pose.

❂ Capture moments in between shots.

❂ Allow the client(s) to offer suggestions as to their vision for the shoot.

❂ When all else fails...use a cheat sheet! A posing guide can be really useful when in a pinch.

❂ Remember the triangle when photographing groups.

I've compiled my very own posing guide on Pinterest using photos from photographers I follow. The Pinterest app is installed on my smart phone and itouch and I can pull them up quickly when stuck. If you haven't checked out my Pinterest boards, now is a great time to take a sneak peek at some really great posing ideas. Make a few boards for yourself and take advantage of this really great tool. If you have ideas that have helped you, please share them below. I would love to hear your tips as well!

My boards include poses for Couples/Engagement, WeddingsMaternity, Infants, Children/Adolescents, Seniors, Individual Portraits and Family/Groups. Take a look and follow me here.
















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello! I would love to hear from you.